Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Not diggin' it.

Warning: Complete and total rant up ahead. Turn right now to avoid a collision.

Proposition 8 didn't pass. How is this possible? Here we are congratulating ourselves on how far we've come since the civil rights movement, and somehow people don't see that the civil rights movement is playing out all over again in their own backyard!

It is built into the Constitution that we should have equality for all. Not equality only for people who we agree with. Not equality for those who have the same belief system as us. Not equality for those who follow the exact same moral code that we do. Equality for ALL. Proposition 8 is discrimination, pure and simple. Quite honestly, I'm surprised that Californians allowed this to pass--they're usually a pretty liberal bunch. Which worries me, because if it passed in California, chances are it would pass in most states. The ballot measure literally said, "Eliminates rights of same-sex couples to marry." Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Constitution and the amendments within were intended to protect our rights, not eliminate them.

Why are people so threatened by same-sex marriage? It literally has no affect whatsoever on anyone except the people getting married. A gay couple marrying doesn't make a heterosexual couple's marriage any less valid or sacred. It doesn't affect the heterosexual couple at all. If you feel it is morally wrong, don't do it. Let others decide for themselves. There's nothing bad that I can see about bringing more committed and monogamous couples into the world. Love should never be punished.

In somewhat related news, the Constitution says that there should be "separation of church and state." There was a good reason behind this. Our founding fathers believed that people should be able to practice whatever religion they choose freely, without conflicting religions being forced on them. The government should never favor any one religion, because it's a slippery slope that easily leads to oppression. Government and politics should always remain neutral.

Now, I have no problem with people practicing religion. While it's not for me, and it's certainly not without it's share of scandal and strife, religion had done and continues to do a lot of good for people around the world. There are numerous charities that have been set up by religious institutions and have helped millions of people. Others have only been able to make it through emotionally troubling times because of their belief in God. Some of my best friends are very religious, and I'm glad that they are able to derive such peace, strength, and satisfaction from this area of their lives. I do, however, have a problem with breaking with the separation of church and state clause that has been with us since the beginning of our country. Prayer and teaching creationism in public schools? Proposition 8? Sure seems like religion is taking the lead in some pretty political arenas. If we allow the teaching of creationism in schools, we should also allow the teaching of all other world religions' beliefs. But that would never happen. You'd get "I don't want other religions being forced on my kid!" Which is why NO religions should be favored or even come into play when it comes to issues of the state. It's unconstitutional. If you want prayer and creationism to be taught to your child, send them to a private school. You are free to choose that option BECAUSE the government doesn't mandate that you follow a specific religion.

Ok, sorry for the rant, but the whole Proposition 8 thing has me all stirred up. Add to that the unfortunate fact of my having to edit part of a science text book at work in order to appease the religious right so that Texas will continue to buy our books (we can't say "The dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago" because that conflicts with some people's religious views. Even though it's been scientifically proven.), and it leads to an explosion in my brain.

This has made me grumpy. I'm going to bed now. I hope (for your sake and mine) to be back to more cheerful posts tomorrow...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for highlighting Prop 8. I was so elated about Obama's election but have never been so shocked and angry about my vote at the same time. Living in Cali, I wish I had done more on the 'No on Prop 8' side. I guess I was too caught up in the Obama-mania...
On the good side, I think we can still fight. Marriage for all WILL happen, it is just a matter of time. I have hope!!!

Erin said...

I agree--sometime in the future we are going to look back on this like we currently look back at segregation and Jim Crow laws and think "How outlandish and wrong we were back then!"

Becky said...

Whoa, how does "The dinosaurs became extinct 65 million years ago" conflict with some people’s religious beliefs? Seriously. Is it that they believe that dinosaurs are still alive? Do they believe they never existed? Do they only dispute the time frame?

I mean, the method of scientific study that gave us knowledge about dinosaurs is the same method that taught us about countless other things: chemical bonds, gravity, cancer, electricity, penicillin, wireless communication, etc. etc. etc., information that we all—including religious fundamentalists—accept as truth and use in daily life. But if the information collected goes against their religious beliefs, well, it’s okay to disregard it. Uh…. okay…

A person who objects to the dinosaurs statement--I wonder what they say when presented with the story of Copernicus and how it went down when he proposed the Sun-centered solar system. Do they not see that it’s the same?