Sunday, November 2, 2008

Experimental blogging

Why hello there, Blog-Reader-Who-Rocks-Because-You're-Reading-My-Blog. My name is Erin and I am a late 20-something living in Chicago, IL. I work as an editor, am totally turned on by indie films and documentaries, and already have .5 of my kids (my dog, Clara--the other 2 will come later). I have a serious soft spot for salt n' vinegar potato chips, Halloween, and sleeping 'til 11. Stick with me, Reader, and you're sure to find out many more interesting facts about my life, some of which can surely be used for blackmail ammo (what fun!).

Today marks the first day of my new (and hopefully better maintained) blog, Paperback Musings. I know, I know, you're thinking, "How did she choose such a creative and interesting name?" Well, wonder no more, for the mystery ends here: For the past five years (approximately the amount of time I've lived in Chicago) my screen name for pretty much all websites has been Paperbacks1980. This is because (surprise!) I love to read. And I was born in...wait for it...1982 (I know, ironic, right?). Which means I'm NOT only a year-and-a-half away from turning 30 (love that!). Anyway, apparently I'm not creative enough to come up with a screen name that doesn't fit the mold of all screen names in the history of the Internet: personal interest + significant life number. Thus...the mystery is solved.

Now that you can get on with your day, let me explain about this new blog of mine. The fact of the matter is, I have things to say and interesting (by my standards) items to share. I need a forum for my proclivity to harken back to the days of show-and-tell. Back then I explained in great detail about my "super neat" babysitter who didn't "have a cow" if I wanted to do her hair. I also had my mom bring our new puppy to school. While I can't guarantee that this electronic version of show-and-tell will be able to reach that level of greatness, I'm going to give it all I've got.

Those of you who were with me for the rise and fairly swift fall of that other blog I had, the photo blog that I can't remember the name of, may be thinking "Uh huh, we'll see how long this charade will last." To be honest, I'm thinking along those same lines. But this time, I'm got some inspiration, folks. That would be my good friend Jessie's blog (http://www.chicagodays30.blogspot.com/), along with the blog of a woman I've never met but feel a strange and probably stalker-ish kinship with due to my complete obsession with her blog, Dooce (http://www.dooce.com/). Both of these bloggers have reached the pinacles of Blogging Hall of Fame (Blall of Fame? Blame??) as far as I'm concerned. I hope to accomplish only a fraction of what they've done (namely, to keep posting to my blog every few days). I am helped in this endeavor by my recent acquisition of a brand spankin' new, bright red, laptop. Yes, I have finally joined the 21st century. This was bought under the guise that it is needed for telecommuting from work on Wednesdays (which it is). However, my ability to now blog from either my couch or, even better, my BED, will surely help me be a more responsible blogger. Heh, blogger. I think that's one of my favorite words--so fun to say.

Anyway.

We'll see what comes of this new blog of mine. Hopefully, a lot. Cross your fingers and knock on some wood for me, ok?

P.S. In order not to let down all five or so people who read my original blog again, I'm only telling a VERY select few people about this new one for now. Just in case I really am too much of a slacker to keep it up. If I see that you are actually reading this thing, I might be excited enough to keep posting. Maybe I'll even tell a few more friends about it. It's all about the rewards, people. Comments are like gold around here.

4 comments:

Katie said...

"Super neat" premiere entry to your new blog, Erin. I imagine that fairly soon, you too, will be a member of the Blogging Hall of Fame, a.k.a. Blame (cute name!)

Jessie said...

Rock on wid your bad self! Can't wait to read more. It's on to the Blall of Fame for you!

Cindy said...

Your mommy said...

I thought the paragraph you wrote to tell me about the blog WAS the blog, but clicked on the address just to see what happened and there was the REAL blog!! (Which was much better than what I THOUGHT was the blog, techie that I am).
One small correction, dork: you were born in l980--not l982, which is what you typed--and I'm sure people are scratching their heads when they read this and how it relates to your address, not to mention that you said you'd be 30 in a year and a half.
Aside from that one trifling little distraction (and having to change your address immediately upon sending), it was BRILLIANT, dahling!! (Hey, does anyone else read what I'm writing to you? If so,I'm very sorry).

Erin said...

Lol, Mom, I wrote 1982 on purpose--it was a joke. I AM going to be 30 in a year and a half! And yep, everyone else can see what you wrote! Surprise! :)