Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Birth Day


         As I write this, I am sitting on the couch at my friend Erin's house baking a birthday cake and taking care of her dog while she has a baby. As in, she is at the hospital this very second and this new little life will be coming into the world at any moment. Erin and I met at my last job, where we both worked for several years. We bonded over stories of our dogs, along with editing woes, and have remained friends even though neither one of us works there anymore. 
         A few weeks ago, as Erin approached her due date, I was put on-call to take care of Tilly (the dog) and the Fishes (Erin's husband's pets). We've joked that "Tilly and the Fishes" would make a terrific name for a band. They're certainly entertaining enough. 
         Last night at about 6, I got a call from Erin saying she had gone into labor around 3, but the contractions were still pretty far apart--to far for going to the hospital yet. However, I should be ready to take care of The Band soon. Three hours later I got a call from Erin's husband, Tom, saying they were off to the hospital and could I come let Tilly out in the morning? 
          I've never been close enough to a friend who is having a baby, both friendship-wise and geographically, that I got to help out or even SEE the baby until it was several months old. I didn't sleep very well last night because I kept waking up and wondering if she was here yet (it's a girl!) and how Erin was doing. 
         This morning, I went over and did my Tilly duties and then went to work, where I checked my phone so often I'm surprised I got anything done. Finally, at 1 I got another call from Tom saying Erin was still in labor--the baby hadn't been born yet. Sigh. The waiting game continues. 
         All around, this house is ready for a baby. There are cribs, pack n' plays, big bouncy balls, toys, little tiny hats, a baby book, and bottles all washed and ready to go. There's an air of anticipation and I can't tell if it's because of all of the baby things around or if it's emanating from me (or both). In a day or two, a brand new little peanut will be carried through that door and Tilly and the Fishes will have a new bandmate.   
         Until then, these teensy diapers and I wait with bated breath. 

No comments: