Saturday, July 31, 2010

When Watching "The Hills" Comes Back to Bite You in the Ass.

While it's not rare for me to do embarrassing things, I generally know they're embarrassing at the time they occur. You know, that time my high school boyfriend's mom walked in on us? Or that other time when my ankle gave out and I fell flat on my ass in front of a fancy restaurant with a giant picture window...facing me. Oh, and then there was that time when my mom came to visit and when I went to introduce her to two of my new friends here in grad school, I completely blanked on the name of one of them (I am ter.ri.ble. with names) so I only introduced one and completely ignored the other. LAME.

Today, however, I got to experience latent embarrassment, and friends, let me assure you that it is not any less humiliating. The story is this:

Several months ago, I went to a party hosted by my friends Jessie and Eric at their house. Prior to this party, Jessie had taken a writing class where she met a girl with whom she ended up becoming good friends. I'd only met this girl one or two times prior to the previously referred to party. I knew she went by two initials, and that the first one was "L." So when I saw her at the party, I went up to her and said, "Hey there! It's "LC", right?" She kind of smiled and mumbled something but I didn't really hear her. So I just went bumbling on with my oblivious self, not thinking anything of it. Until today. When Jessie put up a post on her blog congratulating LK on her engagement. LK, you guys. Not LC. But you know who IS LC? That's right: Lauren Conrad. So not only did I not get her name right, but I called her by the name of a vapid, spoiled, generally-watched-by-teenagers reality star. And in doing so, I also outed my "Hills" watching ways.

Damn you, guilty pleasures and being bad with names combination. And congratulations, LK. ;)

No comments: