Monday, May 17, 2010

Mousetrap Never Works

I was fortunate to have a wonderful childhood full of toys, games, Garbage Pail Kids, and ridiculous numbers of neon things. However, there were two things I desperately envied my friends. One was Glowworm, the stuffed toy you squeezed and his head would light up. The other was the game Mousetrap. I must not have vocalized these yearnings very effectively because it's not like either one would have been a massive financial burden as a birthday or Christmas gift, but I never owned either toy or game and to this day I still have a bit of a fascination with both. Which is why this video makes me feel just a little bit better about the whole situation. I have to admit that at the beginning when they are setting up the game I did have a minor flashback jealousy flare up, but as the video went on, I got all smug about it, like, "Huh! At least I didn't have to deal with that level of frustration over a stupid game! Morons!" And then I went on eBay to see if they had any Mousetrap auctions.

3 comments:

Jessie said...

it's funny because it's SOOOOOO TRUE!!! Don't be jealous. My brothers and I were those suckers. Mousetrap never works.

Cary said...

I, too, was a Mousetrap owner, and this video is completely accurate. You put the whole thing together, rather than play the actual game, and once it was assembled, it DIDN'T work!

Like you, however, there were a few 80s toys I was insanely jealous of. Namely, Powerwheels, Popples, and an Easybake Oven. In college, I babysat for a family who had an Easybake Oven, and yes, I forced the kids to bake stuff with me. Like Mousetrap, the Easybake Oven was way cooler on TV. :)

Erin said...

Cary, I had a Popple and it was SO frustrating because once you turned it into the stuffed animal, it was IMPOSSIBLE to squeeze it back into a pillow. I hated that toy.