Sunday, May 24, 2009

Chicago Puppet Bike

Yesterday, Becky and I decided to grab some deliciousness at Kopi Cafe in Andersonville (my favorite coffee shop). We were walking down the sidewalk when what should we spot but the Chicago Puppet Bike (www.puppetbike.com)! The puppet bike is one of my favorite quirks about Chicago. It is this bicycle that is totally tricked out with an actual stage attached to the front which allows it to be a traveling puppet show. And this isn't just any old puppet show. The puppet bike has the most INSANELY cute puppets you've ever seen. They remind me of the Mr. Rogers puppets. All they do is dance--they don't talk. They dance to mostly classic rock and oldies, which is fun. They also give each other a high five and/or a hug whenever someone drops money in the tip jar. And if you're lucky, they'll blow you a kiss. According to the puppet bike website, the two puppets that Becky and I saw last night were Clover (an aspiring starlet, heartbreaker, and hat model) and Chock (a pirate, blues musician, and gambler). It says on Wikipedia (yes, the puppet bike is on Wikipedia!) that there are eight performers who ride the bike around the city and put on shows that generally last from 2-4 hours. I'm pretty sure it must be the best job in the whole world. Here's a clip of the puppet bike in action (though it was not taken from the show Becky and I saw):

2 comments:

Cary said...

I *heart* puppet bike!

Jessie said...

Gasp! I can't stand that I've never seen this! AWEEE-sommmme. (They totally look like the cat from Mr. Rogers.)

My word verification is Conho. CON HO.