Friday, December 11, 2009

Art Is For the Unemployed

Last week, after unexpectedly being told I could/should leave work four days earlier than my two-week notice called for, I found myself with some free time on my hands. As I'd been meaning to get over to the Art Institute for the past five years (and even more so since they built the new Modern Wing), I decided to turn unemployment into funemployment. I had forgotten how utterly enormous that museum is, and after four hours I managed to hit only my favorite parts (Impressionism, Photography, Thorne Miniature Rooms) plus the Modern Wing before my feet and ankles were screaming for mercy. So, I gave in and went home. But not before I took a bunch of pictures (and got reprimanded for accidentally using the flash on an Andy Warhol). You guys are weak, feet and ankles. Weak, I say.


Cool and surprisingly modern Victorian scrapbooks wherein they took photographs of people they knew and superimposed them over paintings they created:



Frozen fruits and vegetables photo:


Thorne Miniature Rooms--these are my favorite thing in the museum. They are mind-blowingly detailed replicas of rooms from Colonial America, as well as European and Asian countries from the 18th and 19th centuries:









My favorite Monet:
Sunday in the Park:
Van Gogh:
Monet's Haystacks:
Monet's Waterlilies:
I can't for the life of me remember who the artist is on this one...
Andy Warhol, self-portrait:

No comments: